Let’s Cook Winter Squash in the Microwave Oven
Winter squash cooks beautifully right in its own skin in the microwave
oven. The procedure is like baking a potato in that the outer skin is
punctured to let steam escape and then cooked on Full Power for 6-7
minutes per pound of squash. Remember, cooked squash freezes well, so
take advantage of this time saving technique during these crisp cool
1. Wash and dry squash. Weigh the squash.
2. Puncture several holes with fork tines or paring knife in the
squash to allow steam to escape.
3. Place squash in flat microwave-safe dish. (Like a glass pie
4. Microwave on Full Power 6 to 7 minutes per pound, turning
squash over halfway through cooking time. If steam
builds up in the squash and you hear a sizzle, puncture
the squash again with a fork or paring knife.
5. Wrap in clean terry cloth dishtowel and let stand at least
6. Cut open squash. Clean out the seeds.
7. Put squash pulp in mixing bowl.
8. Mash squash with potato masher and use in recipes as desired
or season to taste with butter, salt and pepper.