Potato Bake (Serves 8)
This make-ahead sweet potato casserole would be a tasty addition to most
any holiday menu. The next time you walk by the sweet potato display at
the grocery store, remember this recipe.
3 pounds sweet potatoes
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 and 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup apricot nectar
1/2 cup hot water
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Peel sweet potatoes, Cook in boiling salted water until tender,
but not mushy. Drain and cool.
2. In 1-quart microwave-safe measurer or small saucepan, combine brown
cornstarch, salt and cinnamon. Stir in apricot nectar, water and orange
3. Microwave on Full Power 3-4 minutes until thickened, stirring two
or three times with a wire whisk or bring to a boil over medium heat
on the stove top, stirring constantly.
4. Remove from heat. Stir in butter. Cool slightly; stir in pecans.
5. Cut sweet potatoes in slices and arrange in 8x12-inch casserole.
Pour sauce over potatoes so all are glazed.
6. If you wish, cover and refrigerate overnight.
7. Bake, covered, in preheated 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, or
until sauce is bubbling.