Root Vegetables (Serves 8)
It was my friend, Joan Benner, from Royal Oak, Michigan, who introduced
me to the exciting world of roasting vegetables with this harvest time
recipe. I especially like the red color from the beets that gives this
vegetable combination an interesting hue.
1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into big chunks
1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into big chunks
1 large potato, peeled and cut into big chunks
1 large parsnip, peeled, split in half vertically, then cut into 2-inch
1 large carrot, peeled, split in half vertically, then cut into 2-inch
3 small red beets, peeled with ends removed
1 large yellow onion, peeled and quartered
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons washed fresh rosemary needles or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 cup chicken broth
1. In 9x13-inch baking dish, place rutabaga, turnip, potato, parsnip,
carrots, beets and onion.
2. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat each vegetable thoroughly.
3. Sprinkle the vegetables with rosemary, salt and pepper to taste,
and sugar. Toss to evenly coat the vegetables.
4. Pour chicken broth over vegetable mixture.
5. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours, turning vegetables
several times during the roasting process.
6. Garnish with fresh rosemary, if desired.