Frosted Cauliflower with Peas (Serves 6-8)
I can’t walk past a snowy head of cauliflower at the Farmer’s Market or in the produce aisle of the grocery store without thinking of this fantastic microwave recipe. It’s one of my vegetable standbys.
1 medium head whole cauliflower
1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas
1/2 cup reduced-fat salad dressing or mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
2/3 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1. Remove leaves and wood base from cauliflower, leaving cauliflower whole.
2. Wash until running cold water. Shake off some of the water. Leave some droplets remaining.
3. Place cauliflower on 8 to 10 inch round microwave-safe plate. Cover with vented plastic wrap.
4. Microwave on Full Power 6-7 minutes per pound. (A guideline to remember is that 1 small head of cauliflower weights about 1 pound.) Set aside and leave covered while you cook peas and heat the salad dressing mixture.
5. Cook peas according to microwave directions on package. Set aside while finishing the cauliflower.
6. In 2-cup microwave-safe measurer, mix salad dressing, salt and mustard. Microwave on Full Power 30 seconds to blend flavors.
7. Remove plastic wrap from cauliflower. Spread salad dressing mixture over cauliflower. Sprinkle with grated Cheddar cheese. Microwave on Full Power 45-75 seconds on Full Power to melt cheese.
8. Sprinkle cheese, covered cauliflower with paprika.
9. Surround the cauliflower with peas.