Sweet Potatoes (Serves 8)
The full bodied flavor of apple cider seems to be a natural companion
when teamed with sweet potatoes and spices. This is one of those wonderful
make-ahead and/or “tote able” vegetable casseroles that
fit so well into busy schedules.
4 fresh sweet potatoes
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup apple cider
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1. Cook potatoes until slightly tender in boiling water. Drain and
2. Peel and slices into 1-inch slices. Arrange slices of sweet potato
in buttered 1 and 1/2-quart casserole.
3. In small saucepan, combine cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and
nutmeg. Stir in cider and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring
constantly until sauce has thickened. Pour sauce over potatoes. Cover
casserole. (Potatoes can be refrigerated for later heating, if desired.)
4. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes until potatoes
are hot and bubbly.
5. Before serving, prepare garnish by stirring together melted butter
and pecans. Sprinkle garnish over potatoes and serve.
In step 3, put cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in 1-quart
microwave-safe measurer. Stir in cider and brown sugar. Microwave mixture
on Full Power 3-4 minutes, stirring every minute until thickened.