Appetizer Turkey Meatballs
Lots of cooks use ground turkey to keep fat grams under control. These
tasty meatballs are an excellent example of flavorful food that fits right
into a healthy eating life style
(Makes 8 appetizer servings)
1 egg white
1/2 pound lean ground turkey
2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons finely chopped green bell pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 drops hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne), if you wish
1. In medium mixing bowl, whisk egg white until frothy.
2. Add ground turkey, bread crumbs, salt, green pepper, garlic, Worcestershire
sauce and hot pepper sauce. Mix well.
3. Shape into 16 (1 and 1/4-inch) meatballs. Place on foil-lined jelly
roll pan that has been slightly sprayed with vegetable spray.
4. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven about 15 minutes until cooked and
firm. Remove from oven. Lift meatballs off of the foil.
5. Meanwhile, to make the sauce, in small saucepan combine the ketchup,
brown sugar, water, molasses, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, chili powder,
dry mustard and cayenne.
6. Bring mixture to a boil and add meatballs.
7. Cover; simmer for 10-15 minutes to develop flavors.