(4 lunch servings or 8 side dish servings)
If you are looking for a “fun” summer sandwich idea, here
is a clever suggestion. It’s a great way to celebrate the garden’s
2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (2-ounce) can anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
1 tablespoon red wine or herb flavored vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
2/3 cup sliced stuffed salad olives
1 (16-ounce) loaf French bread
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 large green pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 large red pepper, thinly sliced
1-2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
1. In medium bowl, mash garlic and pepper to a paste. Mash anchovies
2. Stir in vinegar, olive oil and olives.
3. Slice bread loaf horizontally and pull some bread from each half.
(Save bread for another use)
4. Spread olive mixture over bottom half, add onions, pepper and tomatoes
5. Spread desired amount of Pesto over cut surface of top bread half.
Place top bread half on sandwich and press down firmly.
6. Tightly wrap the loaf with aluminum foil.
7. Using heavy objects like bricks weigh down the sandwich for at least
an hour. Keep at room temperature up to two hours. Then refrigerate.
8. When serving, remove foil, insert toothpicks and slice.
9. Store in the refrigerator.