Pumpkin Soup (Serves 6-8)
Pumpkin is the unexpected healthy ingredient in this tasty tomato soup.
I developed this recipe for a presentation in Cheboygan, Michigan using
cancer preventing foods. Both tomatoes and pumpkin are the nutritious
stars in this homemade soup.
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 (15-ounce) can cooked pumpkin
Fresh or freeze dried chives for garnish
. In large soup kettle heat vegetable oil until hot. Sauté the
onions until tender.
2. Add chicken, tomatoes, maple syrup bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce,
basil, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes.
3. Add the pumpkin, stirring well and heat until hot. Remove bay leaf.
4. In about 2 cups quantities, put soup in blender and blend until smooth.
5. Return soup to kettle and again heat until piping hot.
6. Serve garnished with chives.