Tortilla Soup (Serves 8)
This south of the border soup is certain to please your family and
friends. In many markets you can find baked tortilla strips just waiting
to top off this lively chicken soup idea.
1 large onion, chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons flour
4 cups chicken broth
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
1 tablespoon dried cilantro or 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro,
1 and 1/2 cups baked tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, sauté onion and green onions
in butter until tender. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes longer.
2. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, chilies, oregano, cumin and pepper.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Add chicken and cilantro; heat through.
5. Garnish each serving of soup with a few baked tortilla strips and
1 tablespoon of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.