and Corn Soup (Serves 6)
When winter squash is in abundance, this delicious soup featuring corn
and squash falls into the “must make” category. The flavors
blend beautifully and you are certain to win rave reviews from family
6 strips of bacon, diced
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 tablespoon flour
2 cups chicken broth
3 cups mashed cooked butternut or buttercup squash
1 (14.5-ounce) can cream-style corn
1 cup half and half or milk
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1. In large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until
crisp. Remove bacon bits to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon
2. In the drippings, sauté onion and celery until tender.
3. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a
boil. Cook and stir until slightly thickened.
4. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in squash, corn, cream or milk, parsley,
salt, pepper and bacon.
5. Cook and stir until heated through.
6. Garnish with additional minced parsley, if you wish.