Lentil Soup (Serves 12)
This healthy lentil soup is a grand way to welcome autumn. Even though lentils belong to the dried bean family, they do not need to be soaked before they are cooked. Tuck some extra servings of this delicious soup in the freezer to enjoy on a day when you don’t feel like cooking.
10 cups water
1. Put water in soup kettle. Rinse lentils; drain and place them in soup kettle with water.
2. Add onion, celery, carrots, parsley, garlic, ham, chicken base, pepper and oregano.
3. Bring to a boil. Stir well. Cover and simmer 60-90 minutes until lentils are very tender.
4. Add tomatoes and vinegar. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes longer.
5. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper, as desired.
Nutritional Information per serving: 178 calories, 4 grams fat, 23 grams carbohydrates, 10 grams fiber, 15 grams protein, 675 milligrams sodium