Golden Oyster Stew (Serves 6)
Even though I don’t usually put cheese in oyster stew, I have
found it to be a wonderful addition. Maybe that’s because my Wisconsin
dairy land “roots” are so deep.
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
2 cups (8 ounces) sliced fresh mushrooms
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
1 (10 and 1/2 ounce) can cream of potato soup, undiluted
1 (2-ounce) jar pimiento, undrained
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 (12-ounce) container oysters, undrained
1. Sauté onion and celery in butter until tender. Add mushrooms
and cook about 2 minutes.
2. Add flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
3. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until
mixture is thickened and bubbly.
4. Stir in cheese, soup, pimiento, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce.
5. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until cheese melts and mixture
is thoroughly heated.
6. Add oysters and oyster liquid; reduce heat and simmer 5 to 8 minutes
or until edges of oysters curl.