Pasta and Bean Soup (Serves 6)
This is no ordinary vegetable soup. Kissed with rosemary and full of
flavor, it could soon be one of your favorite soups.
8 cups chicken broth
6 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
4 (4-inch) sprigs fresh rosemary or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 (15.5-ounce) can cannelloni or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup small or medium pasta shells
1/2 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
6 tablespoons freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
1. In large kettle, combine broth, garlic, rosemary and crushed red
pepper. Bring to a simmer. Partially cover and simmer over medium-lo
heat for 20 minutes to intensify flavor.
2. Meanwhile, mash about half of the beans in a small bowl.
3. Scoop garlic cloves and rosemary from the broth with a slotted spoon
(or pass through a strainer and return to the pot).
4. Add mashed and whole beans to the broth, along with tomatoes; return
to a simmer.
5. Stir in pasta, cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally,
until the pasta is just tender, 10-12 minutes.
6. Stir in spinach, cover and cook just until spinach is hot.
7. Ladle into bowls and garnish each serving with a sprinkling of Parmesan