Clam Chowder (Makes 12 servings)
This classy clam chowder is a perfect soup suggestion for the busy
holiday season. It’s both festive and easy to create. Oh yes,
it’s delicious anytime of year……just drop the word
Christmas for any month other than December.
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup butter
4 cups chicken broth
1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
2 teaspoons chicken base or bouillon granules or 2 chicken bouillon
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
2/3 cup flour
2 cups 2% or whole milk, divided
4 (6 and 1/2-ounce) cans minced clams, undrained
1 cup half and half cream
1. In a soup kettle over medium heat cook the onion, celery, carrots
and green pepper in butter until tender.
2. Stir in the broth, clam juice, base or bouillon, bay leaf, parsley
flakes, salt, curry powder and pepper.
3. Add potato. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 15-20
minutes until potato is tender.
4. In a small bowl combine flour and 1 cup milk until smooth. Gradually
stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until
5. Stir in the clams, half and half cream and remaining milk; heat through.
(do not boil) Discard bay leaf before serving.