Butternut Bisque (Serves 8-10)
Cook butternut squash following the above directions for this lovely
autumn soup. Once the squash is cooked it doesn’t take long to
puree the ingredients and heat to serving temperature.
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
4 cups cooked butternut squash
4 cups water
2 tablespoons chicken base or instant chicken bouillon
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup evaporated milk (regular or skim)
1. Sauté onion with butter over low heat until onion is tender,
2. In blender or food processor puree onion, half the butternut
squash, 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon chicken base,
curry powder, nutmeg, white pepper, Worcestershire
sauce and peanut butter.
3. Put pureed mixture in large saucepan.
4. Puree remaining squash, 2 cups water and 1 tablespoon chicken base.
Add to mixture in large saucepan.
5. Heat over low heat until hot.
6. Whisk in evaporated milk.
7. Heat until piping hot. Enjoy.