Stew (Serves 6)
I wonder if any of my friends at Trinity United Methodist Church in
Grand Rapids, Michigan can guess which Sunday mornings I have this stew
in the oven while I’m at church. In all honesty, it’s such
a favorite entrée at our home that I serve it on other days of
the week too.
1 and 1/2 pound lean beef cubes (1 and 1/2-incyh cubes from chuck or
2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed
2 stalks celery, cut in diagonal pieces
4 medium carrots, pared and quartered
2 medium onions, cut in 1/4 inch slices
1 (10 and 3/4-ounce) can condensed tomato soup
1/2 soup can water
3 medium potatoes
1. Place beef (no need to brown it) in 3-quart casserole.
2. Sprinkle beef with salt, pepper and basil leaves.
3. Top meat with celery, carrots and onions.
4. In small bowl, combine soup and water.
5. Pour soup mixture over meat and vegetables, coating all pieces. Cover
6. Bake in preheated 300 degree oven 3 hours.
7. Add potatoes and bake 45 minutes longer.