Bread and Butter Pickles (Makes 8 pints)Pickle connoisseurs rate these popular pickles as one of the best. In all honesty they really are very easy to make, especially if you use a food processor to slice the cucumbers and onions. Make several batches when pickling cucumbers are plentiful for great gifts any time of year.
4 quarts thinly sliced cucumbers
1. Gently stir salt into thinly sliced cucumbers
2. Cover with ice cubes; let stand 2-3 hours or until cucumbers are crisp and cold. Add more ice, if it melts.
3. Drain; add onions
4. In large saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, celery seeds, mustard seeds, ginger, turmeric, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, boil 10 minutes.
5. Add cucumber and onion slices and bring to a boiling point.
6. Pack loosely at once in hot jars; making sure pickles are covered with vinegar syrup.
7. Adjust lids.
8. Process in boiling water bath 15 minutes; remove jars from canner and cool in draft free place.
information 1/4 cup serving