Shrimp Creole (Serves 6)
If you keep a pound of shrimp tucked in the freezer for spur-of-the-minutes meals, this classy entrée will be ready to serve before the rice is cooked. Add fresh fruit and bread sticks for a menu that can be created in less than 30 minutes.
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Dash hot pepper sauce
1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
6 cups hot cooked rice
1. Spray nonstick Dutch oven or large saucepan with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Add onion, celery and garlic; cook for about 3 minutes or until crisp tender.
3. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 10 minutes.
5. Add shrimp and bell pepper; cover and simmer 3 to 6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
6. Serve over hot cooked rice.