First Class Jambalaya (Serves 10)
This basic jambalaya recipe is equally delicious whether you feature
shrimp, ham or turkey. You can even use a combination of these
ingredients if you wish.
14 ounces reduce fat or regular smoked sausage, andouille or chorizo,
1. Spray non-stick skillet or Dutch oven with vegetable spray and cook sausage for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
2. Add onions, bell peppers, celery and garlic and sauté until vegetables are tender.
3. Add water and chicken base or bouillon or broth, rice, tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme and cayenne pepper. Stir and bring mixture to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to low and cook over medium heat 15-20 minutes.
5. Add shrimp, ham, turkey or chicken and cook uncovered until shrimp is pink or meat is hot and liquid is absorbed.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Remove bay leaves
8. Serve sprinkled with green onions
Information per serving: