Salad Deluxe (Servers 8)
If the occasion calls for a green salad extraordinaire, this classy
combination is the perfect selection. You will usually find canned hearts
of palm near the canned artichoke hearts at the grocery store.
1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm, drained and sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon oregano leaves, crushed
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 (10-ounce) head romaine salad greens, washed,
dried & torn
8 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Combine artichokes, hearts of palm and onion in a shallow dish.
2. Combine vinegar, water, oil, pepper, oregano, and garlic powder in
a glass jar. Cover tightly and shake vigorously.
3. Pour over vegetable mixture, tossing well.
4. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight, toss occasionally.
5. Drain vegetable mixture; reserving marinade.
6. Combine romaine and marinated vegetables in a large salad bowl; toss
7. Arrange tomatoes on top of salad. Sprinkle salad with Parmesan cheese.
8. Serve with reserved marinade as salad dressing.