Layered Fruit Salad (Serves 16)
This fruit salad is designed to serve a crowd, so it could easily be toted to a pot luck supper or served as part of a buffet menu. It looks very pretty presented in a glass bowl, such as a trifle bowl.
2 medium apples, cored, unpeeled and diced
1 (15-ounce can apricot halves packed in light syrup, drained and sliced
1 (15-ounce) can sliced pears, packed in light syrup, drained
1 (15-ounce) can sliced peaches, packed in light syrup, drained
1 (20-ounce) can pineapple tidbits or chunks, packed in juice, drained
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 (21-ounce ) can cherry pie filling
3 bananas, sliced
Orange juice for dipping banana slices
1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
1. Layer apples apricots, pears, peaches and pineapple in large bowl.
2. In clear measuring cup, combine 1/2 cup orange juice and lemon juice; pour over fruit.
3. Spread cherry pie filling over the top of the fruits.
4. Cover and chill 2-24 hours.
5. At serving time, dip banana slices in extra orange juice, to prevent browning and arrange on top of filling.
6. Sprinkle toasted coconut over the top.