German Potato Salad (Serves 10-12)
This tasty hot potato salad is the perfect pot luck or large gathering vegetable dish. It’s easy to prepare at your convenience and then bake just before serving.
8 strips bacon, cubed
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons flour
1 and 1/3 cup water
1 cup vinegar
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
8 cups cubed cooked potatoes (about 8 medium)
1 cup sliced radishes, if you wish
1. Fry bacon in 10-inch skillet until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels.
2. Drain off fat and measure 1/4 cup fat. Return 1/4 cup fat to skillet.
3. Add celery and onion; cook 1 minute. Blend in flour.
4. Then stir in water and vinegar; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and bubbly
5. Stir in sugar, salt and pepper.
6. Pour mixture over potatoes and bacon in greased 3-quart casserole. Mix lightly. Cover.
7. Bake in preheated 350 oven 30 minutes. Remove from oven.
8. Stir in radishes, if desired. Serve at once.