Cranberry-Stuffed Cornish Hens (Serves 4)
When the occasion calls for a special entrée, these lovely hens are perfect. They work out especially well for times when turkey might be served if the group were larger. For years we have enjoyed cranberries with poultry. Here it is featured all in one recipe
2/3 cup chopped cranberries
1. Combine chopped cranberries, sugar, orange peel, cinnamon and salt in medium mixing bowl.
2. Add toasted raisin bread cubes, 2 tablespoons melted butter and 4 teaspoons orange juice. Toss lightly to mix.
3. Rinse hen cavities pat dry with paper towel. Season cavities lightly with salt.
4. Lightly stuff birds with cranberry mixture. Pull neck skin to back of each bird and fasten securely with round toothpick. Tie legs to tail; twist wing tips under back.
5. Place hens, breast side up , on a rack in shallow roasting pan Brush with salad oil; cover loosely with foil
6. Roast in preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes
7. Combine orange juice and 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine.
8. Uncover birds; baste with orange juice-butter mixture.
9. Roast, uncovered, about 1 hour longer or until done, basting once or twice with orange juice-butter mixture.
information per bird