Asparagus-Chicken Casserole (Makes 12 servings)
If asparagus and chicken sound like a wonderful combination and if you
need an easy make-ahead entrée for a crowd, look no further.
This recipe meets those qualifications and would be lovely served with
assorted fresh fruit and attractive whole wheat rolls..
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen asparagus cuts or 2 pounds fresh asparagus,
cut into inch long pieces or 1 quart home frozen asparagus cuts
2 cups dry egg noodles, cooked according to package directions, drain
6 cups cooked, boned and diced chicken or turkey
1 (8-ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
2 (10 and 1/2-ounce) cans 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
1 cup light or regular mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Cook asparagus in boiling water just until tender. Drain well.
2. Arrange asparagus in 9x13-inch buttered casserole.
3. In large mixing bowl combine cooked noodles, chicken, mushrooms and
4. In smaller mixing bowl, combine soup, mayonnaise and lemon juice.
5. Pour soup mixture over chicken mixture and thoroughly combine.
6. Carefully cover the asparagus with the chicken/soup mixture.
7. Toss together bread crumbs and shredded cheese Sprinkle over chicken.
8. Cover and refrigerate overnight, if you wish or bake immediately.
9. To bake, uncover and bake in preheated 350 degree oven 50-60 minutes
until hot and bubbly. Garnish and serve.