White Christmas Chiffon Pie (Serves 8)
Many years ago when students in Portage Adult Education Classes shared favorite recipes, Janet Mick contributed this outstanding recipe. Because this pie is not baked, I recommend using dried eggs whites that can be found in the baking isle of most grocery stores. Few holiday desserts are as lovely as this feathery light chiffon pie. Treat yourself to this luscious finale this holiday season.
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1. In 1-cup glass measurer, soften gelatin in cold water. Set aside
2. In medium saucepan or 2-quart microwave-safe measurer combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt. Gradually stir in milk.
3. Cook mixture slowly, stirring constantly, until it boils. Boil 1 minute. Or microwave on Full Power 4-6 minutes, until thickened, stirring every minute with wire whisk.
4. Add softened gelatin and cool thoroughly.
5. In medium mixing bowl, combine dried egg whites and warm water. Stir gently for 2 minutes giving the powder time to absorb all the water. Continue to stir until completely dissolved.
6. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until thick and glossy.
7. When mix mixture is cool and partially set, beat with unwashed beaters until smooth.
8. Add extracts to milk mixture.
9. Fold in whipped cream and coconut.
10. Carefully fold in beaten egg whites.
11. Pile mixture in the pie shell and sprinkle a little extra coconut on top of pie for garnish. Chill several hours or overnight.
12. Garnish with candied red and green cherries for the holidays, if desired.
Information Per Serving: