Cream Pie (Servers 8)
For many folks rhubarb is one of the “comfort foods” of
spring. Since my husband, George, is part of this group he welcomes
the aroma of this wonderful pie baking in the oven. He knows that very
soon he can sample one of his favorite rites of spring.
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 slightly beaten eggs
4 cups sliced fresh rhubarb
1 (9-inch) single-crust unbaked pastry shell
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1. In large mixing bowl, stir together the 1 and 1/2 cups sugar, 1/4
cup flour and nutmeg.
2. Add the eggs and blend well.
3. Gently stir in the rhubarb.
4. Turn the mixture into prepared pastry shell.
5. In small bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 cup sugar.
6. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over
to the top of the pie.
7. Cover edge of pie with foil to prevent over browning.
8. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil.
9. Continue baking 20-30 minutes more until topping is golden and pie