Rhubarb Cobbler (Serves 6)
The character of this cobbler is greatly enhanced by the pecans and grated
orange rind. This is one of my treasured recipes for rhubarb fresh from
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 and 1/2 cups 1/2 inch pieces fresh or frozen rhubarb
1 and 1/2 cups water
Few drops red food coloring
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup flour
6 tablespoons sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine
6 tablespoons milk
1/3 cup chopped pecans
3/4 teaspoon grated fresh orange peel
1. In saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar and cinnamon. Add rhubarb, water,
and food coloring. Cook and stir until mixture boils; cook 2 minutes
2. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter. Pour rhubarb sauce into 1 and /12 to
2 quart casserole or baking dish. Keep sauce BUBBLIING HOT in the oven
while you prepared biscuit crust.
3. To make biscuit topping, sift together into mixing bowl; flour, 6
tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt.
4. With fork or pastry blender, cut 1/4 cup butter into the flour mixture.
Stir in milk, pecans, and orange peel.
5. Push from spoon into dollops atop bubbling hot fruit.
6. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Serve with cream
or ice cream.