Favorite Pecan Pie (Serves 10)
Our son, Paul, baked this fabulous pecan pie for one of our family
gatherings and with one taste we knew it was a winner. Because the filling
is precooked, the texture of this pie is wonderfully creamy and smooth
to compliment the crunchy pecans. Do serve this delicious pie at one
of your family gatherings. If you want warm pie, cool thoroughly, then
cut and warm it in a preheated 250 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
1 (9-inch) baked pie shell
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 cups (8-ounces) pecans, toasted and chopped into small pieces
1. Adjust oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 275 degrees.
Place pie shell in oven if not already warm.
2. Melt butter in medium heatproof bowl set in skillet of water maintained
at just below simmer.
3. Remove bowl from skillet; mix in sugar and salt with wooden spoon
until butter is absorbed.
4. Beat in eggs one at a time, then corn syrup and vanilla.
5. Return bowl to hot water; stir until mixture is shiny and warm to
the touch, about 130 degrees.
6. Remove from heat; stir in pecans.
7. Pour mixture into warm baked pie shell; bake in 275 degree oven until
center feels set yet soft, like gelatin, when gently pressed, 50-60
8. Transfer pie to rack; let cool completely, at least 4 hours.
9. Serve pie at room temperature or warm, with lightly sweetened whipped
cream or vanilla ice cream.