Style Swiss Steak (Serves 6)
This delicious Swiss style steak could easily be baking in the oven while
other tasks are being accomplished. Add mashed potatoes to the menu for
those who are meat and potato fans. It’s great country fare
2 pounds round steak, 1/2 inch thick, cut in serving-size portions
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onion, sliced
1/2 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chili sauce
3/4 cup water
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 medium green pepper, seeded and sliced in rings
1. In 2-quart plastic bag, combine flour, salt and pepper. Shake
steak pieces ini flour mixture until well coated.
2. Brown in hot oil in skillet, removing meat as it browns. Add
onion and sauté until lightly browned.
3. In small bowl combine celery, chili sauce, water and garlic
4. In 2-quart serving dish layer meat, sautéed onion, green pepper
rings and chili sauce mixture. Cover with lid or aluminum
5. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours until
meat is tender.