Beef Stroganoff (Serves 8)
Whenever our daughter, Sara, comes home for a short visit and is asked what she would like for dinner, you can be sure the answer is Beef Stroganoff. This delicious entrée has all the qualities of home cooked food that brings comfort to our hearts and treasured memories to our minds.
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup flour
2 pounds round or sirloin steak, cut in 1/2 x2-inch strips
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup water
1 (10 and 3/4-ounce) can 98% reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup
1 (4-ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
1 cup light or regular sour cream
1. Melt butter or margarine in large skillet. Add onions.
2. Put flour in plastic bag and shake meat strips in flour until coated.
3. Add meat to onions, cook and stir until browned.
4. Add salt, pepper and water. Cook and simmer gently until almost tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
5. Add soup and mushrooms; stir to mix. Cook gently until beef is tender, about 30 minutes.
6. At serving time, heat the mixture until it is piping hot, turn off heat and stir in sour cream. ( If you boil the sour cream, it may curdle.)
7. Serve over poppy seed noodles. (Recipe follows)