Mocha-Chip Meringues (Makes 3-4 dozen)
Chocoholics will hold these delightful meringues in high esteem. The addition of cornstarch to the sugar insures that the beaten egg whites will hold high peaks.
3 egg whites, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
1. Separate egg whites, while they are chilled. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before beating.
2. Combine sugar and cornstarch: set aside.
3. Add salt to egg whites. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until frothy.
4. Gradually beat in sugar/cornstarch mixture until stiff peaks form.
5. Add espresso powder and cocoa; beat until well blended.
6. With a spatula fold in mini chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoon onto parchment or foil-lined baking sheets.
7. Bake in preheated 300 degree oven for 30 minutes.
8. Cool on baking sheets. Store in airtight container.