Cream Crunch (Serves 9-12)
An ice cream dessert tucked away in the freezer like this one , is
a summertime blessing when guests arrive or family members need a sweet
treat. I often double this recipe in a 9x13-inch pan.
1 cup crisp rice cereal
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup flaked coconut
1 quart vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
1. Oven toast rice cereal by putting cereal in a 9x13-inch baking pan
in preheated 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. Cool and crush the cereal.
2. Melt butter or margarine in skillet; add sugar and heat slowly, stirring
3. Add crushed rice cereal and toss well to coat with butter-sugar mixture.
4. Remove from heat; add walnuts and coconut.
5. Reserve 2/3 cup cereal mixture for topping. Spread remaining cereal
mixture into an 8x8-inch square pan. Spread ice cream on top. Sprinkle
the 2/3 cup cereal mixture over the ice cream. Freeze.
6. Cut in squares to serve.