Fruit-filled Tortilla Shells (Serves 4)
There seems to be no end to the number of ways tortillas can be creatively used. In this recipe, they are sugared and baked until a crisp shell is permanently formed. Here it’s filled with fresh fruit, but on other occasions try using your favorite reduced-fat ice cream or frozen yogurt for the filling.
4 (8-inch) reduced-fat flour tortillas
1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
2 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
1 cup fresh blueberries
Fresh mint, for garnish when available
1. Lightly grease the outside surface of four 10-ounce custard cups.
2. Invert custard cups and place on large cookie sheet.
3. Brush one side of each tortilla with melted butter.
4. In small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon.
5. Sprinkle buttered side of the tortilla with sugar-cinnamon mixture.
6. Place tortillas, sugared side up, over inverted custard cups. (Tortillas will mold to cups during baking.)
7. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 5 to 8 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned.
8. Cool slightly. Then remove tortilla shells from custard cups. Cool thoroughly.
9. At serving time, fill with strawberries, then kiwi fruit and top with blueberries.
10. Garnish with fresh mint, if desired.