Crowd Pleasing Tin Roof (Serves 24)
Every recipe collection should include a sinfully delicious dessert that will feed a crowd or can be kept tucked in the freezer for unexpected needs. I think this ice cream creation is the perfect recipe to meet these qualifications. The ingredient list may look long, but each step is extremely easy. So get into action soon.
30 crème-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, finely crushed
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 gallon brick-style vanilla ice cream slightly softened
1 cup Spanish peanuts
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Reserve 2/3 cup of the crumbs for sprinkling on top of the whipped cream.
2. Combine remaining crumbs with melted butter. Press lightly in bottom of 9x13-inch pan.
3. Cut ice cream into 1-inch thick slices; place over cookie crumb crust. Spread ice cream lightly with spatula to cover entire crumb base.
4. Sprinkle peanuts over ice cream. Cover. Freeze.
5. In medium saucepan, combine confectioners’ sugar, chocolate chips, evaporated milk and butter. Cook approximately 8 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Cool.
6. Pour cooled chocolate sauce over peanuts and ice cream. Cover and freeze firm.
7. Whip cream with 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Spread whipped cream over chocolate. Sprinkle with reserved cookie crumbs.
8. Cover. Store in the freezer until a special treat is needed.