Chocolate Meringues with Strawberries (Serves
Here is a new twist on the two favorite flavor companions------strawberries
and chocolate. Heart-healthy meringues are the perfect base for this delicious
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
6 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
4 cups sliced strawberries, sweetened to taste
1. In a small bowl, sift together cocoa powder, confectioners’
sugar, and cornstarch.
2. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat egg whites until frothy.
Add cream of tartar, salt and vanilla and continue to beat, adding sugar
a tablespoon at a time until egg whites form glossy, soft marshmallow-thick
3. Using a rubber spatula, very gently fold cocoa mixture and 1/2 cup
chocolate chips into egg whites until just combined.
4. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Using the spatula, divide
the batter evenly between both cookie sheets, making 6 piles per cookie
sheet. Gently spread each pile into a circular mound about 3 to 4 inches
5. Make a small well in the center of each mound for berries and their
6. Bake meringues in preheated 250 degree oven for 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours,
or until crunchy. Let cool in the oven with the door slightly ajar for
at least 5 minutes.
7. At serving time, place remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips in small
microwave-safe dish. Microwave on the Defrost setting 30-60 seconds,
stirring once or twice until melted.
8. To serve, put meringue shells on individual plates, fill with berries
and drizzle melted chocolate chips over the top. Serve immediately.