Angel Food Trifle (Serves 15)
The next time you need a low fat dessert for a crowd, please consider this lovely layered trifle. It’'s a lighter version of the traditionally rich dessert. Angel food cake replaces buttery pound cake or macaroons and the custard is made with fat free milk and vanilla flavored low fat yogurt rather than richer milk products.
1/3 cup sugar
1. Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan or 2-quart microwave-safe measurer; gradually add milk, stirring well.
2. Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken, stirring constantly or microwave on Full Power 4-6 minutes, stirring three or four times, until mixture begins to thicken.
3. Remove from heat; gradually add egg substitute, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
4. Cook over medium-low heat 2 minutes, stirring constantly or microwave on 80% power 1-2 minutes, stirring once.
5. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
6. Stir in lemon rind and lemon juice; chill.
7. Beat or stir cream mixture until smooth. Fold yogurt into cream mixture.
8. Tear or cut angel food cake into bite-size pieces.
9. Place one-third of cake in bottom of a 16-cup trifle bowl or other pretty bowl.
10. Spoon one-third of custard over cake; arrange half each of strawberry slices and kiwi slices around lower edge of bowl and custard.
11. Repeat procedure with remaining ingredients, ending with strawberries as garnish.12. Cover and chill at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
Nutritional information per serving: