Nut Bars (Makes 4dozen)
When my friend, Anne Reuther, who lives in New Berlin, Wisconsin published
the Franke Family cookbook she included this recipe for an outstanding
bar cookie featuring mixed nuts. The entire recipe can be created in
less than 30 minutes and the results are mouth-watering.
1 and 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup butterscotch chips
2 cups mixed nuts (10-12 ounces)
1. Using a pastry blender or two forks, combine the flour, powdered
sugar and the 1/2 cup softened butter until mixture is the texture of
2. Press mixture into an ungreased 9x13-inch baking pan. Bake in preheated
350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
3. While the base crust is baking, combine the 3 tablespoons butter,
light corn syrup and butterscotch chips in a small saucepan and heat
until ingredients are melted and combined.
4. When base is done, drizzle the chip/syrup mixture over the base and
spread to evenly cover. Sprinkle with mixed nuts.
5. Return to oven and bake for 5 more minutes at 350 degrees.
6. Cool thoroughly and cut into bars.