Banana Bars (Makes 4 dozen)
For many folks that I know, this recipe rivals banana bread when it comes to using up ripe bananas. It’s a quick and easy bar cookie recipe that always falls into the “can’t stop eating them” category.
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup light sour cream
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
3 tablespoons light sour cream
1. In large mixing bowl, cream together sugar and 1/2 cup softened butter until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in 1 cup sour cream until well blended. Add bananas and vanilla. Mix well.
3. Sift together flour, soda and salt. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
4. Spread into greased and floured 15 and 1/2 x 10 and 1/2-inch jelly roll pan.
5. Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until center springs back when touched. Cool.
6. For frosting: Melt 1/4 cup butter in saucepan. Remove from heat. Add confectioners’ sugar and 3 tablespoons sour cream. Beat with electric mixer until creamy. Spread on cool banana bars. Let frosting set. Cut into bars. Store chilled