White Chili (Serves 6)
Because of the low fat virtues of chicken and turkey, many cooks are
searching for recipes that use these cholesterol friendly meats. So
it’s no surprise that white chili has brown in popularity. The
cannelloni beans are a variety of white kidney beans. if you can’t
find them, Great Northern beans are a fine substitute.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 and 1/2 cups coarsely chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (4-ounce) can chopped mild green chilies
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
4 cups water
1 tablespoon chicken base or bouillon
1 (15-ounce) can cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey
1/4 cup coarsely snipped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. Heat oil in 3-quart Dutch oven or soup kettle over medium-high heat.
2. Add onions and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
3. Add green chilies, cumin, and oregano. Cook 1 minute.
4. Stir in water, chicken base or bouillon, beans and cooked chicken
5. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 20-25
minutes or until slightly thickened.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. At serving time, stir in cilantro.
8. Top each serving with shredded Monterey Jack cheese.