White and Blue Shortcake (Serves 6)
This colorful dessert is perfect for the month of July when we celebrate
our country’s birthday. The bright red color of strawberries and
vivid blue hue of blueberries teams perfectly with whipped cream for
a patriotic celebration.
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
3 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine, chilled
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4-1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 quart sliced strawberries, sweetened
1 pint fresh blueberries
Sweetened whipped cream or frozen whipped topping, thawed
1. In medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder
2. Cut in 1/2 cup chilled butter with pastry blender or fork. Mix in
yogurt with fork.
3. Add just enough milk to make a soft dough. Scrape dough out of bowl
onto a floured pastry cloth or surface. Knead for a few seconds to form
a soft ball of dough.
4. Divide dough in half. Pat or roll one half of the dough into an 8-inch
circle about 3/4-inch thick.
5. Place this half of the dough in well-greased 8-inch round baking
6. Spread softened butter on dough that is in pan.
Pat or roll the other half of the dough into an 8-inch circle about
7. Put second half of dough on buttered dough.
8. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven 20-25 minutes until lightly browned.
9. Remove from pan; split layers; fill layers with sweetened strawberries
10. Top with whipped cream or whipped topping.