Light Orange Pound Cake (Makes 1 loaf)
The delicate flavor and beautiful texture of this cake remind me of the
simple pleasures of life. These everyday ingredients are transformed into
a cake worthy of accolades.
4 egg whites
1 and 3/4 cup sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola or other vegetable oil
1/2 cup unsweetened orange juice
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1. Beat egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
2. Sift together cake flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in large
3. Add oil and orange juice; with unwashed beaters of an electric mix,
beat at medium speed until well blended.
4. Add orange rind and about one-third of the egg whites mixture; stir
5. Fold in the remaining egg whites.
6. Pour batter in vegetable sprayed and parchment lined or floured 8x4-inch
7. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45-55 minutes or until wooden
pick inserted in center comes out clean.
8. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove and cool on rack.