February 2012 Recipe of the Month
These healthy recipes are just waiting to be incorporated into your cooking plans. All of these ideas are tasty and filled with good nutrition.
Lemon Poppy Seed Snack Cake (Serves 9)
If you want a fiber friendly treat, this tasty snack cake is a first class suggestion. For added flavor, try topping it with a simple lemon sauce.
1 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 cup all bran or bran buds
1/3 cup fat free milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 (6-ounce) carton lemon flavored yogurt
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon powdered sugar
Lemon Sauce, if desired
1. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds. Set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl combine all bran or bran buds with milk, egg, oil, yogurt and lemon peel. Let stand about 5 minutes or until cereal softens.
3. Add flour mixture to cereal mixture, stirring only until combined.
4. Spread evenly in 8x8x2-inch baking pan which has been coated with vegetable spray.
5. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven about 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Cool and dust with powdered sugar before serving.
7. Pour warm lemon sauce over each serving.