Lemon Lavender Loaf Cake (Serves 12)
This mouth watering cake reminds me of Lavender Presentations I do each summer at Cherry Point Farm and Market near Shelby, Michigan. It was one of the featured recipes in the summer of 2011 and brought rave reviews from folks that tasted the finished cake.
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon dried lavender, crushed
2 and 1/2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried lavender, crushed
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind.
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
2. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until smooth.
3. Stir in the lemon rind and lavender.
4. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Add the dry ingredients and the milk alternately into the creamed mixture. Beat just until smooth.
6. Pour into greased and parchment-lined 8x4=inch baking pan.
7. Bake in preheated 325 degree oven 45-50 minutes or until tooth pick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
8. Near the end of baking in small saucepan combine the glaze ingredients of sugar, lemon juice, lavender and grated lemon rind. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, remove from stove.
9. Prink the top of the loaf all over with a toothpick. Spoon the glaze slowly over the top of the loaf until it is all absorbed. Let stand a few minutes before removing from pan to cool.