Lemon Muffins (Makes 1 dozen)
When springtime arrives here in Michigan, country cooks review all
of their favorite rhubarb recipes. Here is my newest addition to the
rhubarb file. I know you’ll agree with me that his recipe is a
2 cups flour
1 cup plus 1 and 1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 and 3/4 cups diced fresh rhubarb
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder,
salt and ginger.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, oil and lemon
peel. Stir egg mixture into dry ingredient just until moistened. Fold
in the rhubarb.
3. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
4. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
5. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick
comes out clean.
6. Cool for 5 minutes and remove to rack to cool.