Poppy Seed Quick Bread (Makes about 1 loaf)
This tasty quick bread goes together in minutes and is a great addition
to summertime menus. I like to store it in the refrigerator for short
periods of time or freeze it for later use.
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the four, sugar, baking powder
and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture, set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, beat the egg and then add milk, oil, lemon peel,
lemon juice and poppy seeds.
3. Add the egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir till just
moistened (the batter should be lumpy).
4. Spoon batter into greased and parchment-line 8x4-inch loaf pan.
5. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 50-55 minutes or until a wooden
toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Continue
to cool on wire rack.
7. Wrap and store bread in refrigerator overnight before serving.