Shortbread (Makes 36 bite size pieces)
This very tender mouth-watering shortbread reminds me of Barbara Bull’s
Cherry Point Market near Shelby, Michigan. That’s where Barbara
has planted a lavender labyrinth for all to enjoy. Remember to use culinary
lavender when cooking rather that its aromatic cousins.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dried lavender blossoms
1. Pub butter in medium mixing bowl. Use butter wrapper to lightly
grease the bottom of an 8x8-inch baking pan. This butter will help secure
an 8x8-inch piece of parchment in the bottom of the pan.
2. Cream butter with 1/4 cup sugar about 1 minute with an electric mixer.
3. Stir together flour, cornstarch and salt. Add dry ingredients to
butter mixture and beat until flour is incorporated.
4. Stir in lavender blossoms.
5. Remove dough from bowl. Press dough into parchment-lined 8x8-inch
6. Prick dough with fork to prevent bubbling or shrinking of dough..
7. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
8. Bake 13-15 minutes in preheated 350 degree oven.
9. Remove shortbread from oven and drop pan on counter to remove any
air pockets in dough.
10. Bake an additional 8-12 minutes. When shortbread comes out of the
oven, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
11. Cool 5 minutes. Cut into squares. Store bars in airtight containers.