Hot Cross Muffins (Makes 12 muffins)
These quick and easy hot cross muffins have the distinctive flavor and
style of hot cross buns without any of the time and effort required when
making the traditional yeast bread product. They are the perfect suggestion
for Easter weekend, but delicious anytime of year.
2 tablespoons water
1 cup currants or raisins
3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 and 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 and 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. In small bowl, pour water over currants, set aside while you assemble
all of the other ingredients.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder,
sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Make a well in the center.
3. Add the soaked currants or raisins.
4. Beat together the eggs, milk and melted butter. Add all the liquid
ingredients at once to the dry ingredients. Stir just until flour mixture
5. Pour batter into greased or paper-lined cups, filling each three
6. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until a cake
tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Remove muffins from pan and cool on a wire rack while you combine
the frosting ingredients.
8. To make frosting, beat together confectioners’ sugar, softened
butter, milk and vanilla until smooth.
9. When the muffins are cool, frost with cross over the tops.