Chocolate Banana Muffins (Makes 12)
Kids will gobble these muffins up so fast, they will have no idea that they’re enjoying a treat that’s low-fat. Serve them for breakfast, for a mid-day snack or even as a bedtime surprise.
1 and 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 small ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup egg substitute or 2 eggs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. In large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder,
baking soda, salt, sugar and cocoa. Make a well in center of mixture. Set aside.
2. In medium mixing bowl, combine bananas, egg substitute or eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla.
3. Add banana mixture to the well in center of dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
4. Spoon batter into greased or paper-lined muffin pans, filling two-thirds full.
5. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Cool in pans 5 minutes.
6. Remove and serve warm or at room temperature.