Banana/Lemon Loaf (Makes 1 loaf)
I honestly think that this is the best banana bread recipe in the whole world. It’s the lemon juice that gets the credit for keeping the bread such a nice creamy white texture as well as complementing the aroma and flavor of the bananas.
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup mashed bananas
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1. In large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Beat in bananas and lemon juice.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture and mix gently until flour disappears.
5. Carefully fold in walnuts and lemon peel.
6. Pour into greased and parchment-lined or floured 9x5 inch loaf pan or two smaller pans.
7. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 50-60 minutes, until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean.
8. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Remove from pan to cooling rack.